Monday, December 10, 2012

Coento-A Salsa Photographer from the Netherlands

I met Coento via twitter. I don't remember what the conversation was, but I think he responded to one of my tweets. So, naturally, this Salsera asked him if I could interview him. He is a Salsa photographer out of the Netherlands. If you happen to take a trip there, or already live there and need to know where the Salsa is at, this blog post interview should give you some insight! Enjoy!


SE=Salsera Elena
SC=Salsero Cuento

SE: How long have you been dancing to Salsa?  
SC: I started around 2002 currenly not dancing because of health problems.

SE: Was it in the Netherlands where you first started dancing? 

SC: Yes indeed I started to dance in NL.

SE: What made you interested in dancing to Salsa? 

SC: In 1999 I first came in contact with what I didn't know than was Salsa. I saw it in a new club when I was in Spain and immediately feel in love with it and the music.

SE: Who taught you how to dance/where did you learn to dance?  

SC: My first teachers were Joop & Toos from Salsa Para Siempre. Later on I moved to Mi Salsa and got lessons from Rensly. 

SE: Do you photographer only Salsa events? 

SC: Yes indeed Salsa & Bachata events. 

SE: Were you a photographer before you were a Salsa dancer or vice versa? 

SC: I did some photography when I lived in Spain and mainly on Pub Crawls for a bar. 

SE: Tell me about the Salsa scene in the Netherlands. Where are the best places to dance at? What style of Salsa do the Salseros dance there? Tell me everything about the Salsa scene here. What makes the Salsa scene in the Netherlands different than the Salsa scene in other areas of the world? Are there lots of Salseros in the Netherlands?   

SC: The Best places to go and dance are actually the main big cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Utrecht den haag where big parties are at! The Salsa community is big in Holland and everywhere around you can dance. The main style of dance is On1. At the big parties always are a lot of On2 dancers. Popular at the moment are Bachata parties and Kizomba is also becoming hot. In Holland we have many nationalities living together. Always the parties are multi cultural so that makes a big difference I think. And yes we have a lot of Salseros around. Also I go a lot into Belgium because it's only 1 hour drive for me to go there. 

SE: Have you traveled to any other countries or locations to dance Salsa? What’s your favorite place or location to dance Salsa at?    

SC: Yes I have been to England, Germany, Spain, and Cyprus. My favorite is the Benidorm Salsa Congress, I’m one of the photographers there for the 4th year.

SE: What is your most memorable Salsa moment?

SC: I think that has still to come but last summer I had a blast at the Latin and Salsa Jazz Festival in Barcelona where I was able to take pictures. 

SE: You are a Salsa DJ as well? 
SC: Yes indeed because of love for the music. 

SE: What do you like best when it comes to Salsa, DJing, dancing, or taking pictures? 
SC: Well I think I go for taking pictures I love it. 

SE: Who are some of the top Salseros in the Netherlands? 
SC: That will be Patrick Mussendijk, Brain & Mechteld, Taiti & Christel, Femke & Manoa, and upcoming Salsero Sergio from Estilo dance.

SE: Have you been to Salsa Congresses? Which ones? Can you tell me about each of them? 
SC: Over the ten years I've been to quite a bit of Congresses like in Germany, Spain. and Cyprus. In Germany it was a small Congress in Berlin. Spain the Benidorm Salsa Congress four times and Salsa Jam in Cyprus to times, and Antwerp Diamond Salsa Congress. Haarlem Salsa Congress and Amsterdam Salsa Congress are a few I’ve been to.

SE: What other Salsa projects/events are you working on? What other Salseros do you work with in the Netherlands? Do you work with Salseros in other parts of the world?
SC: I’m not a organiser of events. At the moment I have a regular gig every second Friday of the month. I do a lot for Mi Salsa with music and promotions. I mainly get asked to come over and take pictures or DJ.

SE: What’s your favorite part about being a Salsero? 
SC: Actually more like being a Salsaphotographer I think it opens doors that otherwise would be difficult to open. I think over the years I made a name with my work and lots off people love it.

SE: How has being a Salsero changed your life? 
SC: I met a lot of nice people and am able to travel abroad. 

SE: Do you do any Salsa teaching or instructing? 
SC: No sorry I’m not into that kind of stuff. 

SE: Please tell me anything else about your Salsa experience that you would like to add! 
SC: Due to my blog (yes I blogged as well a couple of years ago) a Latin site from Groningen contacted me to see if I was interested to take care of the province I lived in that is Zeeland. I agreed so now I take care to put the fotos and parties in their agenda.We are one of the biggest Salsa Latin sites in Holland called www.Latinnet.nl.  We also launched an app recently where Salsa peeps can find parties in the area they live in. It’s for Android and Iphone so check it out!!! This year has been marvelous, I have seen a lot of live concerts this year and I loved it. I hope next year will be better for me health wise. This coming week I hope to hear from the doctors what they want try to get my Clave (hart) in better shape. That is my wish for 2013.

SC: Salsaludos from Holland it’s been a pleasure to fill in the questions.
Coento

SE: To SalseroPhotographer Coento, thank you so much for this interview! I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope to see you feeling better after the New Year! I hope to officially meet you one day soon and shall we Salsa the night away! With Salsa Love, Salsera Elena!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the important tips on photography. I am the beginner on photography and i am very impressed for your post.

    By
    Addy Watson
    Private Dance Lessons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addy Thank you so much for continuing to read the blog! Much appreciated! Let me know if there is anything particular you would like to read about as a Salsera!!

      Delete